Sunday, May 26, 2013

D.I.Y - Deck Day Bed





Here's how we did it and how to possibly build your own.
It's easy, I promise!!

The Fast Five Details (love that movie!!)

- we built a frame to the size we wanted attaching it to our existing deck flooring as we went
- we screwed on our reclaimed hardwood to hide the frame
-we cut chipboard to fit on the top of the frame
- we attached foam to the chipboard and upholstered with an old sheet
- we made a washable, removable slipcover in our chosen fabric.


The Nuts And Bolts Of The Build


1. Work out the size you want your day bed to be. (ours is roughly 1200 x 1400 x 380)

2. The frame.



We used pine 2x4's and made frames to suit our measurements.
2 x for each end and 3 x for the remaining ends and one to go through the middle for support.
You need to think about where you'll need support to suit the size you're building.
Tony used his nail gun to join all the pieces together, and most hardware stores can cut it all to size for you.

Remember to subtract the width of the pine each end off your width (or Length) measurement for the 3 frames running through the middle. (see below)

We tried it out to make sure it fit, then screwed it to the deck and also the frames to each other.
Other alternatives to this would be - attaching chip board to the base and screwing 4/6 casters for a moveable day bed
or
- screwing down chipboard to the deck then screwing the frame to it to make it more weather proof so you could use inside as storage. Just add a hinge to the top!

3. The Sides.


Next we attached our reclaimed hardwood which Tony cut to size after measuring  the frame once it was screwed down.
He attached by screwing it from the inside so no screws are visible.
We left the hardwood as it was, we wanted the old, grey weathered look!

4. The Top


Once the sides were on, we measured the inside and cut a piece of chipboard to fit.
You might notice we made the frame a little lower than the hardwood sides are, so that part of the 'bed' (upholstered bit) will sit down inside for a nicer profile!
You could build the frame the same height as your sides so the upholstery sits right on top, you would need to do this if you were attaching hinges and having storage underneath.
Our way is to hard to get the top on and off...it's a snug fit! Which is what we wanted :)



An 'un-dressed' photo.

1. Adding foam

This part is relatively easy. All you'll need is some craft glue and an electric knife. Oh, and your foam of course! I used 2 lots to get the thickness I wanted. Both thrifted! I think I paid $26 for all the foam I used which isn't bad considering a single bed sized foam mattress is about $80 new!



First I layed the foam onto the day bed so I could mark where I needed to cut.
I knew I was going to have a few joins, but once it's upholstered you don't notice them at all.


Make sure to draw your line around onto the side as well.
Grab your trusty electric knife and lets get cutting!



I found the best way to cut was through the narrow side, looking down on your work as pictured above. If you do it looking at the flat wide side, the cut would tend to be quite wavy and not nice and perpendicular to the top.
Repeat this step until you've got your little foam puzzle pieces fitting nice and snug together. It's better to cut them a little bigger rather than smaller, you can always cut a bit more off. Once it's gone, its gone...kinda like a hair cut!!

Next, grab your glue and drizzle it on, as below.


Sit the foam on and let it dry. I didn't press it down much, the glue seems to hold it there pretty well.
Then you'll have something like this...


I then repeated the same steps with my next layer of foam. I just made sure the joins were in a different place.


I just remembered, you need to glue the edges of your foam together as well as the bottoms. Helps it all stay together!



Next I put on some wadding/batting to help cover any joins and make it a little softer.


It wasn't quite wide enough but I found it just kinda sits there in place, so I stapled it on. You can just see the joins near the middle :)
Here's where it gets a little sad.
You see, I like nice sheets. (this is relevant, bare with me!)
There's nothing like climbing into a bed freshly made with 1000 thread count sheets. A little sateen into the mix, you can't go back to poly/cotton after these babies!
Anyway...of course they're expensive, so I just have two pairs. One on the bed, one in the wash. It all worked out quite nicely...until....one of my fitted sheets ripped.
Bummer.
So, lets not waste a perfectly soft, luxurious sheet I think to myself. I couldn't bare to throw it out.
Onto the daybed it went. which is the next step..


stapling that baby soft sheet on.
Luckily the rip worked to my advantage, I just continued it on, cut off the ends then stapled away!
Now a lot of people may flip this over so it's upside down and pull and staple...but not me.
I like to see that it's nice and tight and there's no bunching in the corners. It takes a little practice to staple from underneath, but it's doable. And it takes a little strength as well to pull it all tight as you can, guess that comes from all those years holding a hairdryer!
You gotta do what works best for you :) An extra pair of hands is always helpful!

I start in the middle on one side and staple almost to the corner both ways, then spin it round and do the opposite side. Then do the same on the other two sides so you've left the corners for last.



Remember hospital corners for making a bed? It's now kinda like that for your corners. Fold some of the excess in out of the way then smooth the rest over until your happy with it. Then get a staple or two in it quick before your arm falls off from pulling it all so tight!!


Now it's time for the slip cover.
It's like it's own fitted sheet that you can take off and wash. Or that was the plan until I discovered that I really dislike sewing. It's still removable, just...a little different.
Put your fabric on upside down. I discovered mine wasn't wide enough so I had to add some more to it, which is the ugly brown you can see!
Then pin each corner, making sure it's on tight.




Now sew each corner, following your pins, then cut off the excess.


Turn it right way out and try it on for size!
Now this is where it got difficult. My sewing skills are pretty basic and I envisioned hemming and threading elastic through...and hopefully I'll sit down and give it a try one day. 

Via: http://apprenticeextrovert.blogspot.com/2012/02/day-bed-tutorialpart-two.html

No comments:

Post a Comment